I gave that movie four stars? (Day 17)…

Toilet Paper

Something about using recycled matter on, well, rather private places disconcerts me. I know, it’s pathetically squeamish — and in fact what’s probably more unsettling is the amount of bleach in most rolls of toilet paper — but all I can think is, “Am I going to be wiping myself with leftover Christmas greeting cards? Outdated issues of Maxim? The review I wrote months ago for Blood Diamond?” (Perhaps more importantly: How can I ensure that I wipe myself with the latest Family Circus?)

But I’m getting over it. I just bought the Whole Foods 365 brand of recycled toilet paper. It’s #1 on the NRDC’s list of environmentally friendly TP, comprised of over 80% post-consumer recycled fibres. Although the package declares it to be “soft and absorbent,” it’s not exactly cashmere — but it’s not like it gives you splinters either.

I think this is a switch I can tolerate. It may not be good enough for fluffy kittens and cartoon bears, but it’s good enough for me.

10 Responses to I gave that movie four stars? (Day 17)…

  1. Jak says:

    so if 80% is post-consumer recycled then what is the other 20% (the package says 100%)? it is scary all the things they treat toilet paper with.

  2. Lloyd Alter says:

    Just keep far away from Presidents Choice 100% recycled; it’s sandpaper.

  3. gettinggreen says:

    Hmm, good question Jak… I think it means that 80% is post-consumer recycled fibre, and the other 20% is recycled fibre from, er, non-consumer-type things? I’ll have to look that up!

  4. Lori V. says:

    It looks like the list is just in alphabetical order. 😉 There are several others that have *almost* the same percentage recycled material as 365, so you could try others if that one isn’t soft enough. (Although, Seventh Generation is not exactly cashmere, either. In fact, the teenagers swear it’s like using notebook paper! LOL!)

  5. Lori V. says:

    I think I read somewhere that it means 20% post-industrial content, meaning the pulp that was going to waste from the pulping plant that never made it to the consumer.

  6. OK, Vanessa, you knew this was coming. I’ll take your recycled toilet paper and raise you one. That is to say, instead of 80% recycled toilet paper, why not plain old 0% toilet paper-if you get my drift. In a way, I don’t want to talk about this anymore since it has created more discussion on my blog than any other topic and it’s a little trivial really. All the same, it’s fun to shock. Read about it here if you want: http://noimpactman.typepad.com/blog/2007/03/im_not_dead_so_.html If you’re wondering if this comment is meant to be a challenge from one eco-warrior to another, yup, it is! 🙂

  7. Vanessa says:

    Yeah, Lori that would make sense. Good enough for me. Colin, you are SO hardcore with the 0% toilet paper… I’ve never been one to turn down a challenge, and am seriously considering taking you up on this one, but I feel like it’ll result in a lot of retching and heaving. And that guy who posted a comment on your blog comparing it to having sticky orange juice on your hand was just waaaay off. Who knows, though, by day 263 I think I’ll be desperate 🙂

  8. Lori V. says:

    I agree, Vanessa. If I had sticky orange juice on my hand, I’d be willing to lick it off! 😮

  9. pat farquharson says:

    Anyone want to use my bidet?
    M

  10. 13 mit Usenet Providern endlos viele Filme runterladen…

    wo kann man gratis filme runterladen?…

%d bloggers like this: